Sunday, September 7, 2008

Covent Gardens & Trafalger Square

(my picture is taken at the Canadian Embassy in Britian, courtesy of a nice tourist)

SATURDAY:
Saturday I got up and headed out to Covent Gardens (1 of the 22 places my London book told me to see.) It was cool, I'm starting to get used to the stores here and figure out which ones I like and which ones are WAY to expensive. I needed by buy more tops and shoes, and of course I was successful! I got to Covent Gardens at 12 and Adina (my new friend) was going to Oxford Circus at 2... so when she got there I met up with her and we spend the day together, which was nice. We had tea and she showed me some stores I missed last weekend! I was so excited I bought my first 'real' London outfit. I love the fashion here and I am getting used to it and thus buying it for myself. Since I like it so much I have told myself I'm only aloud shopping once a month... and therefore by the time i'm done here I will have 12 London outfits to bring home!

SUNDAY: Today I was heading out on my own to Trafalger Sqaure where you can find many art galleries, that are all FREE! The first one I went to was The National Gallery. It was HUGE, and had obviously many pieces of art I had never heard of before. It was amazing to know you are staring and ORIGINAL pieces that steam from the 13th Century and forward. I was able to look at art from: Cezanne, Gauguin, Van Gogh, Leonardo and Michelangelo. A peice that most of you would know is Van Gogh's - Sunflower... it was crazy to grasp the concept that this is the same piece of art that you learn about in school and now I was able to see it in is original form. The National Gallery had two travelling exhibits on as well... my favourite was titled "LOVE". There was many different forms of art in the exhibit all surrounding, you guessed it LOVE, and since I love love it was perfect!

Next I found my way to The Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) and I was really looking forward to that because contemporary art is a kind im really fond of. I was aloud to take pictures in here which was cool, and it was no where near as busy as The National Gallery. I wish they had more art though, they had many film playing but I wasn't in the mood for that so I just looking thought the galleries.

Its so crazy how close everything in here... I could walk from Trafalger Square to Westminster or Piccadilly Circus. I like that fact a lot especially for when I have visiters because it means you can see more in a day!

and FINALLY I didn't spend as much time as i'd thought I would in Traflager Square and was able to make my way to Matalan's and get WELLIES!!! I actually loved this store it was like a Walmart and had cheap shoes... so I bought some flats as well!

Love.

4 comments:

Viki57 said...

Hi Jenn,
It's awesome reading your posts! It sounds like you are settling in a bit now. I hope you really enjoy yourself! I won't be home tomorrow so I wanted to make sure I said HAPPY BIRTHDAY today. Enjoy your day tomorrow and know that we are all thinking about you!
Hugs & kisses, Vicki

Unknown said...

Hi Jenn glad to hear that you got your wellies. So glad to hear your venturing into London fashion hope you can control yourself better there than here and keep it to one outfit a month. Love you lots.
xoxomom

Kayla said...

dude! sounds like you had a good london weekend :) glad to hear it!

Unknown said...

Hey Jen ..Getting alittle cultured and did you say having tea??? What's up with that?? Good to here things are settling down and i'm sure things will even get better!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY