Friday, October 10, 2008

It's not Different, It's just Special

This Blog has been long over due, and I would now like to take the time on this glorious Friday evening in, to point out the not so suttle differences between the true north strong and free and here (Canada references goes to Kyle).

Special Quality #1: Children here Wee in the Grass
The first time I saw it I thought my mind was playing tricks on me but no no no it was real, a parent was holding a child up while they went pee in the corner of the park. Naturally I asked questions... only to find that this is a common occurance here. Ula taught it to Matilda and then the wisdom was passed on to me, however I just couldnt cope with it, they are children not dogs. So I took a stand and said even if Bell had to go wee when we were at the park I would rush her home rather than go to "the corner". Now not all children do it... I think its only legitamate if your children is 4 and younger, but none the less! Sadly I have to say that my stand was cracked and I'm not proud of myself. It happened on the walk home from the park and Bell said she had to go wee so I looked around made sure the coast was clear and did the lift, it is something I am not proud of and will try my best never to have to do the 'London Wee Lift' again.

Special Quality #2: Mixed Changing
School children here change together until they are in senior school... which doesn't come until year 7 (our grade 6). Every Wednesday we go to football practice and all the children Livy's age get changed out of their uniform and into their football clothes in the middle of the field. Now at first I thought this was strange, not because the children would think anything by it but because they are at the age where you need to start teaching them social normals and changing in public is not socially acceptable, thus I thought it was a little odd. But then to add on I found out that for P.E. they have the boys and girls changing together until year 7... children these days are going through puberty at that age, COME ON!

Special Quality #3: Bar Service
When you don't know how things run you can find yourself feeling pretty stupid in a new place. The first time Rita and I went to a pub for dinner and drinks we sat at our table for a half an hour without having someone come to serve us before we realized you had to place all your orders at a bar. At pubs and sports bars they don't have waitresses just bartenders... and you can't create a tab, you need to pay as you drink. This is a quality of England I'm beginning to enjoy because by the end of the night you don't have to pay for your night, you can just leave when you want without waiting around for the waitress to bring you your bill. But it was still something that I really had to get used too. Its all the little things that make me feel like i'm in a different place.

Top Stereotypes/Remarks made about Canada
1. Do you see Bears?
2. Do you see Mountain Lions?
3. What are the RCMP like?
4. You sound weird!
5. Does all Canadians hire out their basements?
6. Do all Canadians have huge gardens?
7. Can you say _______? Followed by a laugh of enjoyment at my accent.
8. Is it cold?
9. Is the fashion different?
10. Are there pubs in Canada?

Wierd Word Differences (North American = Britian)
1. Math = Maths
2. Vest = Body Warmer
3. Bra = Vest
4. Underwear = Pants
5. Pants = Trousers
6. Diaper = Nappy
7. Pee = Wee
8. Bathroom = Toilet
9. French Fries = Chips
10. Chips = Crisps
11. Sweater = Jumper
12. Jumper = Pinafold
13. Scab = Graze
14. Face Towel = Flannel
15. Seven-Thirty = Half Past Seven
16. Sept 8th, 1986 = 8th Sept, 1986
17. Pharmacy = Chemist
18. Blinker = Indicator

Hope you enjoyed your mini United Kingdom lesson.
Have a great Thanksgiving Weekend, its definitly making me miss HOME!

2 comments:

blackpol said...

Hi Jenn , I like your true outlook on the real life in Britain. I like the Pub alot.
Uncle Mike

Kayla said...

i just read your most recent three entries and enjoyed reading them! glad to hear spain was good jenn :)so very nice that you have someone there to spend your time with (thank goodness for rita!)

k